PhD KM graduate’s effect on penetration of KM practice in this region

Hi all KM graduates and current participants,

Here is DAniel. A discussion with Amy and roy on 23Jan2010 was on PhD opportunity in PolyU on KM. There are some cases of KM graduates moving into full time PhD.  Some puzzles were noted in “value proposition in PhD, especially in job pursuit”.

My background was an electronic engineer, then a business software manager, then a business process outsourcing senior manager, and now a factory director focusing on backoffice operation, IT management and electronic surveillance. In Asia’s ICT and Accounting sectors, there are more and more Doctorates (either DBA or PhD) to exert influences, especially in the area of “NEW FRONTIER” .

KM can provide innovation fuel, and I personally believe more KM doctorates raising not only the acceptance in commercial sector, especially SME, but also role of KM in converting HK, and other major china cities to more affluent places.

Please discuss

Daniel

Posted in KM.

1. Anthony says

welcome Daniel, really pleased to have your sharing :)

I suppose “Full time PhD” implies quit the job ?
    Mixed feeling, good to see people enthusiastic about KM but doubtful if they can retain the position after PhD.

Academical study is useful to certain extent. Pursuit KM is a 學 – 習 process. (OL again) I really doubt if any people on earth will hire a KM PhD without real life experience to run a KM program for their company.

Without practice, it does not seem to work by just increase no. of PhD in place. Like increase the no. of books in library will not make student more knowledgeable.

2. Daniel says

You hit the nerve of most classmate “PhD in full time”….I am exploting PhD in a UK institute in a part-time….just start the relationship, and see how it go in the coming 6 months. Regarding KM, I see opportunity to expand it….

3. Jenny says

I see great business potential in KM, provided that we promote it in Hong Kong. I had work as consultant and managed clients, to my knowledge, not many people appreciate the value that KM brings because it’s not very easy to convey the concept unless you talk about calculating IC of a company, etc. But as it reaches a ‘tipping point’ or so called critical mass, I believe KM will be a key trend. Based on the current development, China will be ahead of Hong Kong in adapting KM to their company practice. This is a wild guess based on my working with china and hk people as mainland people are very thirsty for new management concepts to help to bring them to the world platform but hk people are more conservative and skeptical about new management practice – sometimes i think we are just too pragmatic and not willing to try something new.

So going back to PHD in KM, it would be great to have it as a part-time or full-time with company projects.

4. alvaho says

Practical experience is more important than just getting a academic qualification. Of course, if we have time and energy to continue Phd study, we may go ahead. If our job is directly related to KM task, it would be perfect but actually not. As you know, all decision are made by management or boss and they are all bounded by many company policies and rules, it is not easy to persuade the management to apply the KM if their mind-set not change.

5. Roy says

Even though the title of Daniel’s message is about PhD and its contribution to the penetration of KM, it seems to me that Daniel’s message was not restricted to PhD but also DBA or other Doctoral degree.

I agree that PhD degree is not a plus (indeed a minus) in terms of qualification to those who make contribution in the commercial world. I think everyone of us, not only PhD students or graduates, are the potential KM promoters.

Doctoral degree is a special kind of training on how to generate new knowledge, especially from the academic perspective. The society needs all kinds of people including scholars, PhD students, practitioners, managers, entrepreneur, professionals, knowledge workers, etc., to promote the utilization of KM.

KM is not far from us. My perception is it is just next to us. Very often, it is being carried out not in the name of KM. It is happening everywhere and every minute. It is up to us what role we have to or can play in the KM arena.

During the factory visit (organized by MILESAA) on 23 Jan, Daniel, Amy and I conveyed the concept and idea of KM to a number of participants (former and current PolyU students, and even some engineers and managers). In the afternoon, we listened to the introduction made by Mr. Yu (Director (indeed the boss) of a watch manufacturing company) on the Watch Industry and the business strategy of his company. He did not mention the words KM but all he does is actually KM.

We have to learn more and do more!

6. Daniel says

|o|…. so many views from different perspectives…

Suddenly, I have a new question to aks –> if Hongkong wants to be a knowledge city, how many Doctorate holders should be? Practical experience is undoubtful a weapon to make earning. Well, why so many PhD working in companies like Henkel, Bayer, Philips electronics, HK Police Force, local enterprises like Esqurel.

Need some thought on this?

I am quite a pragmatic person and always look at empirical findngs.

Share your thoughts

7. Anthony says

it is easy, let’s list city we called “knowledge city” and check the % of Phd here, take the average and we know how it should be in HK.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.